Pages

Tuesday 22 July 2014

England great Steven Gerrard retires from international football

Steven Gerrard, England football, wayne rooney england captain favourite  
STEVEN GERRARD announced his retirement from international football last night as he vowed to give everything to Liverpool in the twilight of his career.
Wayne Rooney is the odds-on favourite to succeed Gerrard, left, as England captain and manager Roy Hodgson is expected to announce his choice in the next week, well before the friendly against Norway on September 3.
Gerrard’s 114th and final cap came in a dead rubber against Costa Rica with England humiliated and already out of the World Cup.

It was a sad end to a 14-year England career and his 38th game as skipper.

Gerrard, 34, who agonised over the decision since returning from Brazil, said: “The supporters have been amazing, not least in Brazil when they got behind the team despite the disappointing results.

“I’d especially like to thank Roy for giving me the captaincy permanently, making me the proudest man in the country and allowing me to fulfil my childhood dream.

“I have to look after my body as much as possible to ensure I can give everything when I take to the field.

“I believe this is the right decision and having Champions League football back at Anfield is another big factor.”

His club season ended with a slip that cost Liverpool the title, and his World Cup with a mistimed header that allowed Luis Suarez to send England home after just two games.
It has been a painful two months for Steven Gerrard, and such is his determination to right the wrong of that first slip that he has quit as England captain to focus on bringing a first Premier League title to Anfield.

Aging limbs need to be carefully managed and Gerrard wants his energies used exclusively by Liverpool in a dual assault at home and in Europe.

"I haven't made my decision on the back of the World Cup," he said. "I've made my decision on my age, on my body, on being fair to Liverpool, being respectful to them especially with the Champions League back - that was a huge factor.

"To ask my body now, the way it is and what it has been through, to play international football and domestic football was too much.

"But it is strange in a way because I still feel as though I could play for England in September, October, November, I'm still in great physical condition. But, big picture-wise, over the next two, three, four years, the best thing for my body is to step aside."

Gerrard's retirement from international football leaves Wayne Rooney - his likely successor as skipper - as the last of the 'Golden Generation' from whom great things were expected, but who failed to deliver.

The furthest Gerrard, 34, went on the global stage was the quarter-finals of the World Cup in 2006. And to add to the agony he was one of the players that missed a penalty in the shoot-out against Portugal that again saw England exit early.
There were highlights. He scored his first goal in the 5-1 win over Germany in Munich, and his last against Poland in October to ensure England would be going to Brazil. England never lost a game in which he scored.

He captained England 38 times - only four have worn the armband more often - and had the added anguish of being the leader of a side that capitulated badly at two World Cup finals.

Despite the setbacks, he was always a willing recruit from his early days as a free-running colt to his elder-statesman role as the deep-lying midfielder.

He made his debut under Kevin Keegan 14 years ago and in no time the long-running debate about whether he could play with Frank Lampard began as England stuttered again and again.

But he kept coming back, despite the inflated expectations and the slim chance of touching silverware.

After other England managers thought him too introspective to lead, Hodgson trusted him solely with the captaincy and he flourished in the role.

A dignified leader but one who ultimately failed to revive England's fortunes. He considered quitting after Euro 2012, but the "buzz" of being captain kept him going.

The pain of this year's World Cup still hurts the man they call Stevie G. He called it an agonising decision and one that he spoke to a lot of people about, including former captain David Beckham.

"I tried to chat with Roy straight after the World Cup, but I was too emotional. I'm still very upset with how the World Cup went and I needed time to clear my head and make sure it was the right decision because it was so big. David Beckham has been a fantastic help over the last few weeks."

Gerrard may be criticised by some for putting club before country but there will be as many who will agree now is the time for him to step down from the national side.

"While I'm disappointed in the decision I can entirely understand Steven's situation and can have no complaints given the incredible service he has given to his country," said Hodgson.

"He is not only a player to bring crowds to their feet with moments of brilliance; he was a tremendous captain and an exceptional role model for everyone who was fortunate to come into contact with him.

"We shall miss his leadership qualities as we look ahead to the qualification campaign with a youthful group of players."
Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson, though, said: "I am sorry for that, for England and for Steven. I think he should have gone on. Go on playing for your country as long as you can. He has been a great, great player for Liverpool and for England."

Gerrard will be missed in England's midfield. Jordan Henderson remains unproven, Lampard is set to follow Gerrard in retirement, question marks loom over Jack Wilshere's fitness and Ross Barkley is hugely talented but also raw.

But Gerrard thinks the signs are positive and has promised to serve England in an ambassador role.

"I'm very frustrated, but I'm also optimistic," he said. "There are some fantastic players in the group, young players who are going to get better and learn. I know the supporters are upset at the moment, but I know things will turn around for the better.

"The day I got it [the captaincy] I said to myself, 'Always show respect to the armband, be dignified, be humble and give your best'. I'm sure Roy will give it to the right person and I hope they show it the same respect that I have.

"My relationship with England and The FA hasn't ended. I'm sure over the next 20, 30, 40 years, I will work for England again."
(express)

No comments:

Post a Comment